Recommended Sites

A Few Thoughts on Femininity


Okay! Here is a post that has not been particularly studied out, but it is something I have been thinking about recently, so bear with me if I go off on rabbit trails--
When we read back on the great women of the Bible, such as Esther, Sarah, Naomi, Mary, all these, don't you ever marvel at the beauty of their stories? When you read Ruth, doesn't it seem the most beautiful love story ever penned down? What exactly made these women so admirable? Well, several things- but to start off, I want to go to 1 Peter 3:3-5: "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, and the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands..."
So here you have a pretty great picture of the secret to these women- their beauty came from within, and not only is this beauty unfading, but it is of great worth in God's sight. But I also think it is interesting that these women purposely practiced this attitude. It says that they used to make themselves beautiful in this way. So, that is one facet of this subject: the gentle and quiet spirit. But one thing that I think these ladies did, was to rejoice in their femininity. Esther had a whole year of beauty treatments. These women like Hannah, and Sarah, Leah and Rachel respected and revered the position of motherhood. In their culture, there was a very visible line between a man and a woman. And these women seemed to glory in the fact that they are the weaker vessel. Mary willingly rode on the donkey. There was no trying to prove herself as strong as any man. Ruth allowed herself to be humble enough to ask Boaz to be her protector. Now really. How many young ladies nowadays would ever entertain the thought of asking for a protector in their times of trial? Much less going in to a man personally and laying theirself down at his feet? No. Young women today think that they have to "be strong", "be independent". and "make their own way". But we see a very clear picture in the great women of old of prized femininity. I personally like wearing skirts most of the time. There are days when I work with Dad that I would be physically endangering myself to wear a skirt, (lawn mower blades and the like- yeah) but you know, I like keeping that line. When I am doing really physical activity, I wear the appropriate clothes. When I am being a homemaker, I wear the appropriate clothes for that too. There is nothing quite so feminine feeling as a pretty skirt, my hair neatly arranged, and an apron tied around my waist. Clothed in such, I feel quite ready to take on the pile of dishes in the sink, or the dirty children that need baths. It gets me in the spirit of my position as a homemaker-in-training. I also have learned to enjoy being the weaker vessel. I do not feel the need to carry the heavy bag of grass seed just to prove myself when Dad or Daniel is right there offering to help me. I love it when there is a rare man, a perfect stranger, who will open the door for me when I walk into a gas station, and wait to close it till I am all the way through :) I love knowing that the Lord has given me Dad to be my protector, and until I find my Boaz, I want to stay under his guidance. Jesus has given me new eyes to again see what a blessing my femininity is to me. I am so excited about that possibility of becoming a mother some day! To bring children into the world who you and your husband can train to be faithful men and women... what a privilege! This truly is something no man could ever do, and therefore is uniquely ours as women!
So anyway, I hope I gave that more than a lick and a promise, and I'll end here with a challenge to embrace the fact that we are women, and to seek to clothe ourselves with the old-fashioned charm of a meek and quiet spirit! (by the way, the date on the photo is wrong)

0 comments:

Post a Comment