Recommended Sites

Love of Literature Review Series: Chronicles of Avonlea

I know I haven't been keeping up with my series of book reviews, but I mean to take it up once more since I have been doing a lot of reading recently. :)


I recently finished reading Chronicles of Avonlea by Lucy Maud Montgomery. Of course anything Anne is amazing! :) I love Avonlea, and Prince Edward Island, and Anne Shirley, and Green Gables, and anything to do with any one of those subjects must be worth reading. Chronicles of Avonlea did not disappoint me.
It is a collection of short stories set in Avonlea amid familiar characters. I was greatly amused by many of the stories, including the one about the man-hating woman and woman-hating man who got quarantined together, poor Prissy Strong who had to be married through a window because her older sister had locked her up, the sweet, but sad tale of Little Joscelyn, and the stubborn romance of the Penhallow cousins.
At times I could tell that the author had plugged in a sentence or two about Anne Shirley merely to keep her in the stories. It was funny to hear what Avonlea by and large thought of her, but the descriptions generally had no effect on the story whatsoever, so they really were not necessary. The stories are full the familiar Avonlea names: Shaws, Sloanes, Wrights, Allens, Pyes. Even Mrs. Peter Blewitt makes an appearance, as shrewish as ever. Familiar places are referenced too with White Sands, Carmody, Avonlea, The North Shore, and the Lynde Farm, being mentioned.
This was a very good book for a person well-versed in the Anne books, and one I heartily recommend for anybody to read. I was actually surprised at the Christian flavor of the stories since I have read Montgomery's thoughts on religion and have not been at all impressed.

Characters: * * * * (4 stars- I would have liked to see more of Anne)
Plot: * * * * * (5 stars- The plot of each story was carefully thought out and executed, although she used the old-maid-marrying-at-forty plot too often)
Over All Rating: * * * * * (5 stars)
~Rachel

0 comments:

Post a Comment