Recommended Sites

Creative Guest: Women Who Do It All

 

 

I’m so excited to have Jill from Women Who Do It All here today!  She has a wonderful blog where she shares many fun tutorials and linky parties (I’m especially excited to check out her Spring Mantel party because I need ideas!). Today she is showing us how to crochet a fun little cap…don’t you love all of the boy crafts that are around this month?!

She’s also expecting her second child soon and I’m so excited for her cute family!

Here’s Jill…

 

Hi UCreate readers.  Do I even need to say how excited I am to be a creative guest here today?  I mean, it is pretty much every blogger's dream, right?  Thanks to Kari for having me! 

I have a fun tutorial to share with you today, my newest crochet pattern, the Little Guy Cap {if you don't know how to crochet, check out all the videos on youtube, they're all you need to learn!}.

Before I get into it, let me introduce myself.  I'm Jill; you can find me at Women Who Do It All.  I like to think of myself as a jack of all trades.  I'm not amazing at anything, but I'm pretty good at a lot of things.  I hope you'll stop by and visit me!  I've got lots of fun tutorials, giveaways, and linky parties.  Right now I've got my Spring Mantel Linky Party going on.  Come link up once you've got your mantel all decked out in Spring decor!

 

Okay, let's get started.

Supplies:

Worsted weight yarn (I like Vanna's Choice personally)

Size K crochet hook

Yarn needle for weaving in ends

2 buttons (around 1" in diameter)

Stitch marker (Optional.  Helpful for keeping  your place when crocheting in the round, but not an absolute necessity if you count carefully.)

Pattern (Choose your size and follow your color.  Sizes: 0-3 months, 3-6 months, 6-12 months, 12-24 months)

This pattern is made using two strands of yarn held together.

HAT

You will be crocheting in the round.  Start with an adjustable ring.  If you don't know how to make an adjustable ring, watch this video.

Round 1: half double crochet (hdc) 8 times in ring.  Pull on tail to tighten ring and close hole.  (8 hdc), same as size 0-3 months, same as size 0-3 months, same as 0-3 months

Round 2: 2 hdc in each stitch around (16 hdc), same as size 0-3 months, same as size 0-3 months, same as 0-3 months

Round 3: {hdc in next stitch, 2 hdc in next stitch} repeat around (24 hdc), same as size 0-3 months, same as size 0-3 months, same as 0-3 months

Round 4: {hdc in next 3 stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch} repeat around (30 hdc), same as size 0-3 months, {hdc in next 2 stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch} repeat around (32 hdc), {hdc in next 2 stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch} repeat around (32 hdc)

  Round 5: hdc in each stitch around (30 hdc), {hdc in next 5 stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch} repeat around (35 hdc), {Hdc in next 3 stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch} repeat around (40 hdc), {Hdc in next 3 stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch} repeat around (40 hdc)

Round 6: hdc in each stitch around (30 hdc), hdc in each stitch around (35 hdc), hdc in each stitch around (40 hdc), {Hdc in next 7 stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch} repeat around (45 hdc)

Round 7: hdc in each stitch around (30 hdc), hdc in each stitch around (35 hdc), hdc in each stitch around (40 hdc), hdc in each stitch around (45 hdc)

Round 8: hdc in each stitch around (30 hdc) {proceed to brim}, hdc in each stitch around (35 hdc), hdc in each stitch around (40 hdc), hdc in each stitch around (45 hdc) .

At this point your hat will look differently if you are making a different size.  I am making a size 0-3 months here for the new addition we are expecting in just a few weeks :)

Round 9: hdc in each stitch around (35 hdc), hdc in each stitch around (40 hdc), hdc in each stitch around (45 hdc)

Round 10: hdc in each stitch around (35 hdc) {proceed to brim}, hdc in each stitch around (40 hdc), hdc in each stitch around (45 hdc)

Round 11: hdc in each stitch around (40 hdc) {proceed to brim}, hdc in each stitch around (45 hdc)

Round 12: hdc in each stitch around (45 hdc)

 

BRIM

Round 1: Turn. Slip stitch (sl st) in next stitch 12 times (12 sl st), Turn. Sl st in next stitch 15 times (15 sl st), Turn. Sl st in next stitch 18 times (18 sl st), Turn. Sl st in next stitch 20 times (20 sl st)

Round 2: Turn. Single crochet (sc) in next 12 stitches (12 sc), Turn. Sc in next 15 stitches (15 sc), Turn. Sc in next 18 stitches (18 sc), Turn. Sc in next 20 stitches (20 sc)

Round 3: Turn.  Sc in next 12 stitches (12 sc), Turn. Sc in next 15 stitches (15 sc), Turn. Sc in next 18 stitches (18 sc), Turn. Sc in next 20 stitches (20 sc)

Round 4: Do not turn.  Continue to sc down the side of brim (2 sc), around hat (18 sc, 20 sc, 22 sc, 25 sc), and up the other side of the brim (2 sc).  Fasten off and weave in ends.

STRAP

Round 1: Chain (ch) 16, ch 19, ch 21, ch 23 Round 2: Turn.  Double crochet (dc) in each chain (16 dc), Turn. Double crochet (dc) in each chain (19 dc), Turn. Double crochet (dc) in each chain (21 dc), Turn. Double crochet (dc) in each chain (23 dc) Fasten off and weave in ends.

FINISHING {all sizes}

Sew your buttons to your hat in the corners of the brim.  Loop your strap onto the buttons.  And voila, you're done!

 

I hope you enjoyed my tutorial.  It comes together pretty quickly so go make one for all the special little guys in your life :)  Thanks again to Kari and to all of you for having me as a creative guest!  Stop by and visit me at Women Who Do It All.

0 comments:

Post a Comment